Thursday, October 1, 2026

Diary of an End of Life Journey. October 1, 2026

 Life moves too quickly, even when it lasts for almost 100 years.  And my mom's life moved too quickly, especially at the end.  One minute she was fine, living her life as always, and the next, she was not.  And suddenly, she is gone, and I am just supposed to go on without her, like an earthquake didn't just tear my entire life apart.

I am not sure how I move forward from this point, honestly.  I have already thought a dozen times, I need to call mom... I need to text mom... and then had to realize I no longer have that option.  My heart is shattered.  There is no other word.

But every other person who has lost a mother has managed to pick themselves up and move on, including my own mother, whose example I have followed my entire life.  So I guess I will have to do the same.

She lived her life with joy and optimism, fully sure of her faith and her salvation, which gave her freedom to live her life well and fully.  She loved with fierce devotion, espcially her children.  She served with strong dedication, wherever she was serving.  She worked hard at whatever she was doing.  She carried her life long friendships with her.  She was a role model for everyone of courage and strength and honor and the power of love.  And above all, she showed the power of faith as she surmounted every obstacle life threw in her path with dignity and grace.  She didn't talk about her faith, she lived it, each and every day.

I am a fortunate woman to have such a mother, who prayed over me for all of my days until now.  Rest in peace, sweet mama.  Until we meet again.